13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
- The greatest question you will ever answer is, "Who is Jesus?"
- This is without a doubt the most debated question in the history of the world.
- He was either a deceiver, deceived, or Divine.
- The crowds wrongly identified Jesus.
- Peter properly identified Jesus.
- Jesus is the Christ which means the anointed one of God.
- In the Old Testament prophets, priests, and kings were anointed with oil when they were commissioned by God to accomplish very important tasks.
- Jesus as the anointed one carries the office of Prophet, Priest, and King.
- As prophet, Jesus revealed God to man, spoke to man on behalf of God, and pronounced an end to all our sin.
- Jesus was not just a prophet who proclaimed the Word of God, but He was the Word of God!
- As Priest, Jesus offered Himself as a sacrifice for all our sin, presented man to God, and spoke to God on behalf of man.
- Christ our High Priest sprinkled His own blood on the mercy seat to cover our sin once and for all.
- As King, Jesus rules over all things, governs us by His word and Spirit, and defends and preserves us through the salvation He has given us.
- As King, Jesus defeated sin and death and ascended into heaven where He now sits on His throne at the right hand of God the Father.
- Jesus is the prophet who teaches us, the priest who intercedes for us, and the king who leads us!
- Jesus is not only the Christ, but He is also the Son of God.
- The Son of God is God, Jesus is God!
- The question we must all answer is who do you say Jesus is?